Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The game plan

Happy New Year!
The year of the Olympic games has begun and today was the first official day back at the training center for the Olympic candidates.  I joined them as my journey for this new year is yet to begin... or rather get moving.  I will tell you though that the group of women left here in London are phenomenal.  They work hard of course but their support of the WHOLE team is awesome.  Today I got a later start due to a meeting and I had a fellow teammate sitting on a bike behind me cooling down who gave me some encouragement during my workout.  It was a great feeling knowing that despite our different tracks this year I am still welcomed and supported by my peers.

So, what is my plan for the year?  I don't believe I gave any indication in my last post of my direction.  Here is the skinny:
I will be heading to Victoria BC ASAP to train with the 3 lightweights that we have.  They are all great athletes who are going to be vying for only 2 spots in the 2x (double).  My invitation to train with them was just as much for me as for them.  By having a 4th body they will be able to train in the 2x more often and when it comes to selection they will all have had a chance to row with each other in their Olympic boat.  When not training in a lightweight 2x (as a heavyweight) I will have my single to row and train in toward some European races later this summer.  It also will give me the opportunity to see where my speed is and where it is headed, helping me to make decisions about the next Olympic cycle.  If my speed and ability shows amazing things (Olympic podium speed) I am hoping that RCA will reconsider my status for the final qualifier, but it is not something they have told me they will do.  Just a hopeful way to train :)  And like I have said before, if God changes things, I sure want to be ready!

My trip to Victoria is not completely planned, and I don't exactly know how I will manage the finances but I trust the Lord in this.  He has already set up a few graces here and there which I am grateful for.  I believe I will be driving which I will be needing much prayer for, and hopefully have things in order to leave by the weekend.  Things move quickly!
 I am excited about being in Victoria but I am a bit wary of getting there.  It is hard to know what weather will come my way and what the roads will be like, but I suppose that is better left in God's hands.  It is not always clear what the path led by God is.  It is my feeling that it should be obvious but for some reason my human brain cannot always process it so I am doing my best to pray and listen for His guidance for travel.

I don't know that I have much more to say right now.  I think I am in a period of waiting on God, or rather it is a quiet period instead of a loud and obvious one.  Funny when there seems to be so much going on around me.
I will write again soon and hopefully I will not have anything too significant to tell you about my travels  besides answered prayer.


No comments:

Post a Comment