Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Survival

   “Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you suddenly like a trap. 35 For it will come on all those who live on the face of the whole earth. 36 Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man.”      Luke 21:34-36

 We spend much of our time surviving.  Some people are successful and others sadly fail.  I believe I am a survivor and I believe that every believer has the tools to survive.  Jesus gave us a great survival guide and further still a great LIVING guide for life called the Bible.  The verse above expresses a few items that we can be weighted down by and put us in a position where we have to fight for air.  Anxiety, and fear of the unknown has had me challenged for air in the last few weeks;  anxiety and fear of what our family is potentially facing, anxiety about my future in rowing, and what next month holds or even tomorrow.  I am blessed to have amazing prayer warriors and a God that hears those prayers and lays the peace that passes all understanding over us all and this is how I begin to survive.

I have been reading a book called Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies and Why by Laurence Gonzales.  It is an interesting read, not a faith based book, or at least not a faith in Christ.  But he has several good keys to survival that I have realized are very pertinent in our lives, and whether he meant it or not, I would say it makes a good case for the importance of God and His guidance/discernment.   
 
What survivors do (according to L.Gonzales)
  1. Perceive, believe (look ,see, believe)
    -  This may not be faith based exactly but in any situation we find ourselves we need to come to the realization that we are in fact in need of help, or that our situation is potentially grave.
  2. Stay calm (use humour, use fear to focus)
    - Instead of panic, anxiety take that energy and be reminded to focus on Christ, who will be with us through our trouble.
  3. Think/Analyze/plan (get organized; set up small, manageable tasks)
    -  I would say this is a good time for good solid prayer if you had not already done it and ask for clarity to think of the process to get out of the difficulty.
  4. Take correct, decisive action (be bold and cautious while carrying out tasks)
    -  Trust God will answer your prayer and listen to His steady voice while you BOLDLY carry out His plan.
  5. Celebrate your successes (take joy in completing tasks)
    -  Every step forward is a time to praise God and celebrate with Him, he is proud of you no matter how small the step, and you need to rejoice in the success.
  6. Count your blessings (be grateful- you're alive)
    -  This encompasses so many things;  be thankful for every little thing in life, the sun, the rain, the grass, seasons, a smile, children, food etc.  Don't forget to let God know how awesome He is!
  7. Play (sing, play mind games, recite poetry, count anything, do math problems in your head)
    -  Keeping your mind active and expanded gives great advantage when it comes to survival.  It allows us to get away from the situation and relax.  Spending time in the Word will increase our ability to witness and to get from A to B,  it is our ultimate resource  to be stored in our hearts and minds.
  8. See the beauty (remember: it's a vision quest)
    -  See 5 and 6.  God's creation around you can tell you a lot.  It can also give you the answers you are looking for.  God uses all sorts of things to lead you in the right direction.
  9. Believe that you will succeed (develop a deep conviction that you'll live).
    -  It is not even about believing with Christ as it is KNOWING He has it covered!  If we pray diligently and truthfully He WILL respond and often in greater ways than we can imagine.  FAITH.
  10. Surrender (let go of your fear of dying;”put away the pain”)
    -  At some point our trials start to tear us down and the evil powers in the world will beat you down.  However, if we fully surrender our lives, problems, anxieties and even our successes to God we don't have to feel the pain.  
  11. Do whatever is necessary (be determined: have the will and the skill)
    -  To create change we often have to make tough decisions that can mean breaking some old relationships that are holding us back.  It can mean giving up our safety blanket that we cling to "just in case", well this always needs to be done (see surrender).  God will give us the strength and courage to stand firm!  Pray and have faith.
  12. Never give up (let nothing break your spirit)
    -  Seems like a stupid comment but there will be much fighting for your heart and mind from the bad things in this world.  God is always alongside if we desire him to be (and even when we don't).  Put out your hand and take His and no matter what the trouble you will walk hand in hand through it.  With full trust, faith and surrender our lives and those around us will be changed.  Nothing is too big or small, His love surpasses all understanding and His imagination is grander than any artist of this world.


    I am a survivor.  And although I have been struggling with knowing what my future holds, what next month brings and how I am going to afford to pay for it I know that if I surrender that fear to God He will be free to do His mighty work that He already began in me.  I feel the same for my family.  I have no idea why my mom, who is such an amazing woman of faith, strength and courage is constantly berated with illness but I am at peace (and I know the rest of my family is), a peace that passes understanding.  For some reason God has given us such incredible peace, and the survival tools to know what could be ahead, but we are aware of the steps it takes to get to the end.  
    Steps 1-12 and repeat.



No comments:

Post a Comment