From the discovery of the sport of rowing to the successes and challenges of navigating through it, this blog is not only a good outlet for me as I make a comeback for an Olympic dream, but I hope it can be of encouragement to you as you feel the ups and downs of reaching for your goals.
Wednesday, June 27, 2012
Planned for God's Pleasure
It is no surprise that I have so much to write about and no way to get it all down cohesively. This is what I get for not updating earlier.
The Big Move
To those on facebook, it is no surprise that I have changed locations from the Netherlands to the United Kingdom. We arrived in Henley on the Thames Saturday afternoon and have settled into our respective homes around town. We are all relatively close to one another and it would seem that our home stay families are friends or acquaintances. We each have our own bed (I was sharing with our cox for the last week in Holland), and share a room with one other team mate. The house is lovely and the family also.
It is about a 20 min walk each morning to the course for training and we either stay around have a snack then train again or on a day like today we walk home, rest and eat and return later.
The course is quite busy with both regatta traffic and leisure boat traffic. It is a whole different beast for coxwains to navigate, even though it is a straight course; course is lined with just above water cement barriers, weaving traffic, large boats coming toward you, a strong current due to lots of rain etc. We manage and have settled into the hub bub downtown on and off the water.
For those who do not know this race it is quite the ordeal. It is based on the similar idea of horse racing. All races are dual style, so only 2 at a time head to head. There is not the same cheering in the grand stands as the people are dressed with their blazers, dresses and hats and often are busy drinking their beverage of choice or enjoying lunch sandwiches. However, there is betting that occurs, which we discovered after being made to weigh in on our first morning. I suppose they think this might help people decide who the winners might be? The point is racing is quite different here as is the atmosphere, but it is a sight to behold. Our first race is Friday against France. From there the winner progresses and the loser is done racing. There are two brackets and so we won't see anyone from the other side until we progress. There are a handful of potentially good crews such as ourselves so racing should be exciting.
The Queen's visit
One big event I experienced yesterday was the arrival of the Queen by boat on the Thames. As a part of the Diamond Jubilee she is touring around London. There was a river pageant put on to entertain and display the history of the river and we all got to watch as the Queen smiled as she took in the sites. Those of us watching her gave a few "Hip hips!" as she arrived. It was quite the affair.
(She is the one seated in blue, next to her lady in waiting.)
Giving God my Attention
In the last few weeks, a lot has happened, and in that I have learned how to overcome some of my pride, control and the importance of recognizing the little chinks in my armor that Satan will use to bring me down. The last bit in Holland as I think I wrote, was difficult, with injuries, and boat seating changes and just taking what the coach was saying as valuable. Much of my problem came from pride of which I am learning how to lay down. As I began to lay that down, God was able to continue his work in me, and what do you know he presented things before me again that I had been holding onto as important but for the wrong reasons. What is comes down to for me is, God does not have my attention, focus, or affection (amongst other things) unless I GIVE IT TO HIM.
I cannot take complete credit for the thought as I heard it first in a sermon from my London church (Gateway)but it hit home. The series is entitled "A Life of Purpose" and covers many aspects of how we can do that and ultimately how God has created us for a specific purpose.
To go back to the point on us giving our attention to God, I realized that it was a different way of thinking of God as our center. Jesus is always there, always watching, waiting and ready for me to look His way. Does not take much but the return is immense. Taking a few mins or longer to give God my attention needs to be my constant focus, and I am working to do this through the day. When rowing is difficult or things are going well, I give a little "thank you" or "please give me courage", inviting Christ to take a lead, and therefore I take the following role. This brings me to another point, again from this sermon series and that is, it does not matter WHAT you do but WHO you do it for.
In the time I have started rowing again I have realized that often things start going awry when I forget to give God my attention but also forget that all I do should be a gift to God. My abilities and gifts should be used not only to fulfill the great commandment but also to worship Him. Winning does not always happen, and when it does the high more often than not fades and you can be left with a sinking feeling. When I hit the water for practice or a race I am confident knowing that God and I are on the same page, that I have asked him and talked to him about the day and what lie ahead. I do my best to remember to take the time to dedicate the outcome to God's glory.
God has a purpose for us all. It often comes through many hardships but small in comparison to sending your child to die for a world of undeserving humans. Our purpose comes with our talents and gifts, and our gift to God is our hands open, giving God the attention and affection He deserves.
As I prepare to race on Friday in our first dual, I want and am able to say that God is there with me, hauling on the oar and helping me set a pace for the rest of the team. If every stroke is done with purpose and meaning I can rest assured that I have more than two hands on my oar and at the end of the day I can say that what was accomplished was most pleasing to God.
To close out I have a few prayer requests and praises:
- Thank you for continued prayer regarding injuries on our team. Both of our serious injured girls are back in the boat and managing. I know they are not comfortable but I believe God can continue to ease their pain until they can rest next week. Please continue to pray for them.
- Pray for the best conditions for our racing. It is a hard prayer for me sometimes because I want to pray for what I think the best conditions are for racing but God knows more than I, he knows the competition and he knows me better than I know myself. Currently we have a big current against us which makes for some hard rowing. I know we can manage but I certainly could use a little help staying on top of it :)
- My last request is for myself and that is that I would stay healthy and injury free. A few niggling things keep me cautious at times but I know it is in better hands. So far so good!
OH we are racing as Western Rowing Club so if you are trying to look at results online on the Henley Royal webpage that is who we are!
Thanks as always for your prayer and support. I am excited to race but also excited to be back with family and friends in Canada!
Cheers!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment