Friday, June 8, 2012

Euro Tour 2

Here we go, post two of the Euro trip!

Tomorrow is our first day of racing, and man is it ever different racing in the 8+ as opposed to small boats.  I am so used to having heats, semis, finals at least and with the 8+ because of the low entries that are typical (the eight sucks up a lot of athletes and so most countries do not have a competitive boat) we pretty much have finals and perhaps a heat on our second day of racing. 
In some ways this is nice, in others it means you have to get it right the first time!  No second chances.
I don't think we will need the second chance as things are coming together pretty well.  We still have a lot of room for improvement but that is just the nature of the sport.  We strive to perfect one aspect of the stroke at a time, and typically have to cycle back to that point eventually.  We do it in hopes that on race day we are cleaner, faster and more precise than the competition.

In non rowing news, we have taken to riding our bikes two and from practice every day for each practice.  It is a 10-15 min ride through this part of town.  We do stick out in the commuting crowd but I think more because we are all tall, athletic and don't quite fit properly on our bikes due to our size. 
The weather here is nicer than some made it out to be.  It rains every day and has been quite windy but nothing we cannot handle.  The course is so protected that strong winds that would blow us off the water in London ON are just creating some choppy water here.

All in all things are good, I hope to get some laundry done soon and I look forward to our free day on Monday!  I will do my best to give some racing updates, but if you want to follow us online check this website:
Holland Beker Regatta

There is the option to view in English in the top right corner, and options to view live racing and results on the page also.    We race both Saturday and Sunday evening  in the W8+ for CAN

Thanks for your cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment