It is almost a week past but having just finished lunch and having some time before second practice, I felt I should FINALLY update!
As you know last weekend we raced the Holland Beker regatta, and as some may not know we had some good success. I cannot say we had our best racing the first 2 races but the most important race brought good changes and some rhythm to the crew.
Day 1 of racing we took on the Under 23 Netherlands crew with a commanding start and slight lead early on. They put on some good racing and we fuddled our way through the race with varying levels of success. We did cross the line first to capture a gold medal (the first for our coxwain who is very inexperienced but certainly won the lottery with our crew).
Our second day included a heat in the morning against some club crews. We set out with a bang off the start and because it was a heat and we just wanted to get to the final we took the rate down through the race as to not win by too much. It was not a superbly executed race but it was an improvement on the previous day.
The big event was in the evening when we were sandwiched between the Netherlands Olympic 8+ and their Under 23 8+ . Again off the start we took the edge out and pushed to hold on to them as long as possible. Our focus was to keep the gap between the Olympic boat and ours as close as possible. This was our way of making them work the entire race, giving OUR Olympic boat some data to work with. This race was by far the best we have had. It was quick, light and there was a good rhythm through the body of the piece. It certainly hurt plenty but the reward was great when we knew we did all we could do.
Racing always has its ups and downs and as I gain more international experience I learn more about how I approach racing and training. This weekend I reflected a lot on the 2x final last year at World Championships. For those who have not caught up, my partner and I did not qualify for the Olympics last year, for many reasons but one being experience. Racing is a fine balance of rowing like every race is a final and racing smart as to not waste too much energy too soon. It takes time to figure it all out and sometimes there are still surprises. At Worlds I was so confident in the POTENTIAL of our boat that I think what ended up happening is we did not realize the potential for each step of the racing process. What I mean is that in the heat we thought we were racing our best but in reality we were holding back, not thinking of the level of racing to be had and done.
At the end of the day, you have to find some value in everything you do, and sometimes it is about hindsight. I could not have learned from my past experience without the continued experience I have today.
Speaking of experiences, due to unfortunate events; a rib injury in one of our teammates, we have been doing some modifying of our crew to get the work in (we do not have any spare bodies on our trip). Yesterday morning we rigged some other boats including a quad (4x), pair (2-), and a single (1x). Can you guess what I rowed? Of course the single! I was quite happy to get in again and row. I was plesantly surprised with my rowing and the change in strength to hold my body in a good position. I also was able to row a new Hudson boat that has a new bow mount rigger unlike my stern mounted one. Different feeling but nice! I might look into selling my boat and buying this new style. So continuing about changes, Last night our coach sat in the empty seat of the 8+ which is always fun (he is a former Olympian), Oh and I have also been in bow seat for a few days from my usual stroke (another fun experience to have). And today thus far I have switched sides to row Starboard while we rowed with one less person. So to sum up the last 2 days, I have; sculled, and swept both on Port and Starboard! Who knows what tonight brings!
On other things, we moved hotels for a few days as the Novotel was booked solid. I think they were glad to see us go... or so that is what it felt like. The Mercator where were are now situated is quite pleasant, amazing food and a peaceful atmosphere. I am loving being able to look out the window to see a little pond, bunnies, and birds, not to mention lots of greenery. Our bike ride to and from the course is also far more scenic. My roommate remains the same which we are quite happy with. We will see how she feels after a few more days :)
That is it for now! Please continue to pray for healing for my teammate (who is also Christian) and for protection for the rest of us from injury and illness. Talk to you again soon!

No comments:
Post a Comment