Whew! What a whirlwind few weeks!
If you have been following me at all through my family, facebook or wherever you know that I returned from Europe/UK last Monday after some amazing racing on Sunday to finish of the Royal Henley regatta! Since then I have been unpacking, repacking and visiting family and friends as well as reuniting with my very patient husband!
I realize I have no posted about my final race in Henley so here it goes!
Every evening after racing and before our next days race we meet together as a team for a meeting. It usually addresses our goals for the previous race and the execution of them, things to improve upon and other notable things. We then move onto the next days race where we discuss our goals for execution (usually 3 things), implementation of changes to race plan based on feedback of previous races and of course we briefly discuss our competition and possible course conditions.
I was pretty nervous but also excited about our race. We found out we were up against the German Olympic team which is a pretty neat opportunity, or so I thought and I won't lie, I am still out for blood to show myself, my rowing organization and the world that I AM world class and can even go from sculling to sweep in only a few months. I knew what we were capable of as a crew, and have never felt such a cohesive crew before. Little drama and lots of aggression. Our coach talks often about how we decide the outcome of a race long before the day of the race comes. It might be the night before or in my case when you start a training journey. What is important here is that if you don't decide before the even comes what happens is you are forced to decide in the heat of the moment, when things get tough and your brain is lacking the oxygen it needs to make the best decision. By deciding ahead you have already prepared your mind for those questions and will more easily be able to answer it with MORE instead of less. It is a good lesson for life, make the decision before you go out for dinner not to order fries but instead a salad, set your clothes out for a walk in the morning before getting in bed, or decide to make changes in your relationships, set out a clear plan before you go back to it.
To get back on topic, our post/pre meetings are to set us up for success and move us from one level on the ladder to the next.
Race day is always a fun day. I go between wanting to get over the nerves and the race to embracing every part of the day. If you are looking for success the latter is what you should always strive to do, but even the best athletes can tell you that sometimes you have to remind yourself to stay in the moment.
Our race was in the afternoon and so the morning was our usual pre-row followed by waiting... I am pretty sure we all were sick of waiting but again you find things to do, have a nap (albeit a short one), play some Words with Friends, surf the net, read etc before it is time to head down to the course.
The walk to the course was kind of fun. When you feel good about your training, and your abilities that walk is tall, confident and assured. And when you feel the presence of God with you, it is exciting. In typical fashion I had some chat with God on my walk and take a big breath where I think about breathing in His presence and Will and exhaling my own reservations, concerns and will.
On arrival to the course we typically put the boat down so our coach can wash it (while in his obligatory suit for riding in the umpire boat while we race) and then we sit, watch the hats walk by and on this day, the victories coming into the dock. It is a pretty neat scene. As we approach our launch time for on water warm up we do an erg, last minute bathroom breaks and bag check. After that it is hands on and on the water where we get our bodies more prepared for the impending pain.
The race was a euphoric one. At the start line I have learned that my best companion and bearer of all is Jesus. As funny as it sounds, He and I row hand in hand from stroke one. In this race we flew off the line and never looked back. As the pain settled in and the lactic acid started coursing through my body I was asked the question "how much more do you want? How much more can you take?" They are tough questions but every time they were asked I was able to answer "All of it!" and "MORE". A few time I even went as far as to put it back in God's court and say "If you (Jesus) were able to take the weight of the world, I think I am capable of a few minutes of physical pain", it is always possible with Him.
Our gap ahead of the German crew grew, not easily I might add but with determination and confidence, and at the end of the race we found ourselves to have tested our strength and will to the max.
I am blessed and I know that God is with me and with my husband on this journey. I don't always know why I am led to row and more so, be away from my husband but there is a plan. I believe that God is in everything we do, we just have to let Him SHINE! I am always at the brink of tears when I think of what joy I have in my sport and how blessed I am and all I can hope is that God is looking down with pleasure on what I do.
Our trip ended well, and I got home to Canada safely. Like I mentioned I am now with my husband visiting friends in Connecticut and we will head home to Oregon after some time with my family. I am excited about my summer, and excited to see what the rest of the year brings.
Thank you for constant prayer and love. Every uttered thought and word have been felt and answered.
Until next time!
No comments:
Post a Comment