Monday, May 23, 2011

Cruisers, rain and 2 spring chickens

Two women, in their 60's on their cruisers were biking side by side down Victoria St. today, looking just as young and free as two 10 year old's on a summer day.  The rain started to fall and they both let out girlish laughs, clearly realizing the freedom and youthfulness of their ride.  I walked down the opposite sidewalk smiling and I even let out a little chuckle at the nostalgic scene.  The smell of rain on warm pavement and the cold drops hitting my skin completed the moment making me feel perfectly happy and at peace. As I enjoyed a memory I thought about that pure joy and freedom that we seemed to have as kids, riding our bikes, wind blowing through rain dropped hair and cooling the skin on a hot summer day with none other than our best friend(s).  I thought about the importance of that feeling, and how we often lose it for things in our everyday lives. We tend to look to our past for those moments of pure innocence and joy but forget that there are moments everyday in which we can create a new moment in time.  It does sound cliche but think about it, how many things that you do each day can you say, "I feel free, I feel at peace, in this moment it is just me and my senses" ?
Lately I have been learning a lot about finding joy in my daily life and creating those moments that I will look back and say "yes, I remember that sensation, I remember the smells, I remember how right everything seemed".  I never knew that rowing could bring me so much joy, and I don't even know if it is the sport itself or all the stimulation around it, lately I wonder if I just enjoy seeing God work in my life so much that I want to hold onto it forever. 
I think it is so important to find what it is you are passionate about.  And to not only find it but go with it!  I never believed as a college student that I should be able to enjoy something that seemed so frivolous as my sport, but funny how God uses our passions to ignite a flame in others, and even within ourselves.  It took a bit of time before I started to realize that God is not out to punish us or make our lives miserable.  He wants us to follow our dreams that he has put ahead of us.  Sure it is not always easy and being a believer is not a breeze, but the end of the story is always guaranteed to be wonderful and full of unfathomable joy and riches.
So what am I getting at?  Go back to that bicycle moment, the wet pavement, sights, sounds and smells of the time you felt so free, invite God to be a part of that moment and find that feeling in whatever you do each day.  Even better, share that moment with someone else, a collegue, client, patient, friend or family member.  The options are limitless!  I guarantee that you will find more freedom through following your passion and sharing it with others.

If you don't remember  what it feels like to have the wind blow through your hair or the feeling of rain hitting your skin, put on your shoes, hop on your bike and hit the road, there are so many moments waiting just for you if you just let God do his thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment