Thursday, April 14, 2011

Renewing Strength

This post is long overdue, and to be honest I could fill pages right now.  Perhaps I will make an effort to write everyday for the rest of the week to catch up.
The last few weeks have continued on an upswing.  We are now 100% back on the water and have started to ramp up the work a bit, rowing 2x a day with weights, or core and pilates in between often with extra cardio for good measure.  I am starting to see more gains on the water from all the work I have done this winter which is always positive but my body has certainly been feeling the intensity.
I have a few nagging things but for the most part manageable which I am thankful for, as I said to the physio yesterday, I would rather have these problems that show me tiny chinks in my armor than have a big issue that blows the whole thing to pieces.  So here I am strengthening my armor one link at a time.

Moving into this week has been tough, I want to be doing everything but I feel tired and really just irritable.  It was really hard to wake up on Monday and feel positive, despite an "easy" row.  I can't say I have been perfect in dealing with it, but I will say I had a conversation with myself about it, and every morning I pray that I can have the positive attitude I need to stay focused and in the game.
Like I said, Monday was an easy day, to prepare us for 3x 5k with lactate testing in between on Tues, Wednesday with 4x 1500m with lactate tests and Today which was a repeat of Tues.  Well, Tuesday we woke to some nice weather albeit the wind, and to be honest it was hard to see the beautiful weather when the lake looked like it was about to swallow us whole.  So we hit the water, or rather it grabbed us and we made the best of the raging winds and water.  I definitely took time to pray as I knew my attitude was not the best and I prayed for the conditions that would best serve myself and the team down the road.  I guess winds were the verdict.  Either way despite struggling through it I made it out with the confidence that I could make anything work, even if it was ugly;  it is not about a perfect race it is about having less bad strokes than another.  So painful as it was I learned something and am still alive to live it out.
Wednesday was a great workout and I was able to do some head to head racing with another one of our good scullers.  Nothing more to say on that besides I have to stay within my race and not allow the external dictate my rowing... well to an extent.
Today was the repeat of Tues and it was far more revealing or so I think for our lactate levels as we were focused on rowing instead of staying afloat.  I had 3 good pieces and hope the results will show the same.  I still have some key things to develop and perfect but I continue to work on those daily and come race day I plan to have them down solid.

So, that is a bit of an overview of the last few days but I do have lots of other thoughts which I will share through the rest of the week.  It never ceases to amaze me how I am provided for and how the Lord takes care of not only the big but little things.
I leave you with an encouraging verse from Isaiah 40:31
" but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;  they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

No comments:

Post a Comment