Friday, and I almost made it through the week unscathed. Today I pushed it a little past the limit in regards to pain and now have to suffer a couple of days without the team. What I thought was a pinched nerve in my shoulder seems to be a pending stress fracture in the ribs. I have my ice, ibuprofen and heating pad so I am hopeful for a return on Monday. This means I will have time to ponder and write while the team rows.
My topic for the day is unrelated to injury however, I thought I would touch the topic of gossip, or running with false information.
In the last couple of days I have really noticed how we as humans love to talk about drama. We love creating it, being it, talking about it and even solving it. On a team, gossip seems to be a mainstay and although it can seem harmless I have found that it often becomes a harbor of mis-information and feelings of anger or resentment. We all make jokes about starting silly rumours but do not realize that they are happening all around us, perhaps slightly more believable but happening none the less. I would love to say that I am not one of the perpetrators of gossip, but unfortunately even I fall into the trap. Often times I think having that secret "news" while in a group of friends makes us feel important and accepted. I mean who does not like feeling like they are the center of everyone's attention, and like you have the latest and greatest to share. I have been attempting to stop my mouth from opening and spitting out what could be the most earth shattering news ;"did you hear what the coach said today about...?", it is not an easy task as I have to stand by, bite my tongue and battle with the two voices in my head. However, I cannot believe how great it feels to not be involved in the talk. It is not until after the topic has passed that I realize how insignificant and unproductive my comment would have been, but it sure makes me glad I did not say it.
Something along the lines of gossip and where I think many stories start are in miscommunications, misinterpretations and half heard conversations (of which we were uninvited listeners). In the past week I can count at least 3 conversations that occurred in the team in which the gossip girl had only heard part of a story in which I knew the whole from first hand. That is insane! I am not without fault but imagine, 3 conversations alone in one week is crazy, not to mention that each of them was causing negative energy toward certain individuals. One of these conversations I had the opportunity to speak up and set the record straight, which I felt good about, even if they continue to run with those emotions (of which I have no control).
This also takes me back to my arrival here and the warnings from other athletes about certain others. I am so glad that I chose to develop my own opinions because I have learned so much more by seeing the whole pictures instead of one side. It makes me a better racer and a more mature individual to seek truth or falsehoods in others opinions.
I am not sure how much sense all of this makes, but what I am trying to say is, before you make judgement on your opponents, and before you spread ill will or negative energy check your sources and get the whole story. It saves you possible embarrassment, gives you an edge and really in the end you can know you took the higher ground.
This post reminds me of a quote by Eleanor Roosevelt - "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people".
ReplyDeleteHow true it is that we all fight the urge to contribute when it comes to these fringe conversations, which are usually at the expense of someone not involved.