Since mom passed away I have neglected to stay on top of blogging. To say I had no desire is an understatement, I just needed time.
Over the last month or so I have thought about posting but have not taken the time to do so. That changed this morning when I got a message from a friend and cheerleader reminding me kindly that she reads my blog and that she would continue to do so. I think I was getting a little nudge to say, "it is time", and I know she was right.
So here we are back in business and on the road. I cannot fill you in completely on the last few months, but fortunately nothing more than hard training and a great training camp has happened. Did I mention that I was selected for the World Cup 1 team for both the 4x (quad) and 8+? Well, I was and you now read a post written Down Under!
After 24 hrs of travel our team of about 13 plus 1 coach arrivedin Australia, specifically our training course in Tasmania. And in less than 10 days we depart for Penerith, the home of the Sydney Olympic rowing course to race World Cup 1.
The weather is pretty hot, and it would seem that the Aussies handle this heat better than we, as our AC consists of a fan and what looks like a dehumidifier which as we were told yesterday will blow cooler air if you add ice; I am not convinced. Rows are sweaty and hot but beauitiful and the people are easy to get along with.
Our coach who is from the Launceston (the city we are in), took us on our first running adventure yesterday to find wallabies. We laughed at him when he arrived in Canada and got excited at his first sight of a racoon; I think he got his payback. We look forward to other sightings of Aussie wildlife and hope it does not also involve a trip to the hospital (just about everything is poinsonous or deadly).
We are all adjusting to the trip around the world, and as we sit on day 4 our coach is bracing for the moody, tearfilled rows that could ensue as we make the final adjustment in time. Fortunately we are all pretty self aware and make efforts to stay out of each others way during this time haha.
As far as my own personal journey, I am feeling more like myself. Time does heal in many ways, but acceptance also. I miss my mom and on a trip like this it is hard not to be emotional at times knowing how proud she would be. I know I have a lot of support and cheerleaders around the country but there is nothing quite like a mom's support.
I am still making changes as I need to in order to gain speed, but patience is the name of the game and I am doing what I can to stay in it. God still provides me with the strength I need, the support and friendships that get me through, even when I am not always the best in return. Matt, continues to be patient and supportive as I pursue this dream, something I continue to be grateful for every day.
As my mom wrote multiple times in one of her journals; "The heart of the King is in the hands of the Lord, like rivers of water, he turns it wherever he wishes" Proverbs 21:1
No comments:
Post a Comment