One and a half days, 3 workouts, and trailer loading and I will be homeward bound.
It has been a long trip and a long week. I spent the first half in my hotel room recovering from a nasty illness (fortunately not the GI sickness that several women contracted mysteriously) and then after one day of easing back into work I was back full tilt... and by back I mean I was in the boat attempting the workouts as prescribed. In any case I finally was able to get to race rates even if it was a struggle, in the double and we pounded out 4x1500m today (about 20 mins ago) which was not all bad. It is the thought of 8x 500m at race pace tomorrow morning that makes me more fatigued.
I am exhausted, and am ready to head home but I have seen some improvements even if small ones to make it all worth while. Not to mention getting to know my team mates and coaches better. It has also been neat to be here during Spring break for many US and Canadian schools. I can't say I enjoy trying to navigate around inexperienced coxwains or rowing in coach boat wake but I definitely see the importance of high performance athletes in an "amateur" setting.
Sounds a little arrogant I am sure, but from the perspective of someone who has just moved into the National team environment there is something about having someone faster than you on the water that is motivating and inspiring. Not to mention it makes you think harder about technique as you don't want to look like a novice when the Olympian(s) row by. Everyone wants to be that "one" who gets spotted by the coach and invited to be a part of the team.
It has also been really cool to see some of the athletes I have coached in their new college boats. Not many of them know I have made a come back and so they are quite surprised to find out, but seeing them again is like seeing your child grow up. It inspires me or at least motivates me to keep pressing on, because there are people watching and I don't want to let them down.
I may not make sense, 4x 1500m takes me from aware and present to, nonsensical and absent, so here is the take home message; I am tired, but alive. Challenged but encouraged. Beat down, but not broken. Motivated and inspired for the coming months.
Next week we jump right into blood work, lactate testing, High performance 2k test amongst other things. Keep praying for healing in my body and the strength to push for more improvements. The right training is key but the recovery is vital.
No comments:
Post a Comment