Finally finished. This testing week has gone on long enough and I finally completed testing Saturday with a personal best for the 2 km piece. I was on my own as my husband went camping with his brothers but I managed to pull out a good test with a little (lot) Jesus on my side :)
The testing overall was not great and I have a long way to go to reach the points I need for increased funding, but I have no choice, and have decided to let God figure that one out. I probably could have done better if I had decided that before testing began but I was holding so tightly to it and trying to control it that I missed that boat. I don't know what the plan is but I am going to go back to basics; Just work hard and be smart, seems simple enough!
Now that a new training season has begun (when did the last one end?) I have a new goal. I am having a hard time typing it because as soon as this posts I am then committed to something I am not sure I want completely...
In the last month or so I have struggled with seeing my body as being fit for a National team. Sure I am getting stronger and making some gains but I also see a lot of extra stuff that can hold me back. Every little pound counts and although I don't feel I am overweight, I am not my HEALTHIEST. This is more what I am concerned about, eating healthy to give my body the right fuel to do its best. If I eat right the rest will follow.
I think some of my realization also came around during the Olympics when I watched several athletes talk about their journey and see where they were at. And even more so there was an add for something (not a great AD since I cannot remember what it was for) featuring athletes saying things like "I have not had dessert in over a year". Matt was sitting nearby when I was like "Ya right!" "There is no way an athlete does not eat dessert, unless you are a lightweight, or gymnast." Matt immediately responded, "A lot of athletes don't eat junk, I think you guys [rowers] are a little different". Matt has spent much of his time in running, triathlon and cycling, and I do not doubt the lack of sweets in that diet but it still seems impossible to cut it all out! After thinking upon it I started to feel a little frustrated and annoyed at myself for not having better self control. If it is nearby I HAVE to eat it (or rather it feels that way), just as my sister, I am always raiding their sweets stash. It is a constant battle and although I know some of it is unwarranted pressure on myself, I do see the value in being healthy and saying no to my cravings. I know how to eat better, I have done it before, it just takes time and BIG time self control.
So what is my goal you ask? To become a healthier, leaner me that I can be happy with. I don't want to wonder if I could have done something better if I had just avoided the ice cream.
My younger sister has recently started her journey to a better more healthy self, along with her husband. They are doing great and so I hope that maybe she and I can work together on this along with all of you!
The Game Plan:
- My first week will be a "detox" week. Don't worry I am not into the weird and unhealthy cabbage detox or anything. My method is guided a little by a book I read a while back and means eating unlimited veggies (non starch), protein, and limited wheat and grains such as bread. There is no room for sugar of any kind outside of limited fruit, even gum is out. My allotment of these will be greater than some because of my exercise regime but the basic principles remain. Oh I will have some sugar as my recovery drink has some simple sugar so that is hard to avoid.
- In order to help stay on track I am going to be writing out everything that I put in my mouth including vitamins and medications.
- I hope to post at least one example a week of my day, exercise, food and perhaps even some recipes. This way I have support and I am accountable to my food choices.
I am not sure exactly when I am going to start this. I should start today but I don't know that I am ready. Sometimes it is good to just do it, no time like the present, however, because of the place I am in right now I think it is best to wait a bit longer. I will let you know when I begin. I challenge you to take up the same kind of healthy regime, post your goals and progress in the comments of my posts. I am here for you as much as you have been here for me!
No comments:
Post a Comment