In less than 24 hrs my rowing journey will be back in motion after a 3 week holiday. It has been nice to get away and be with my husband and family while doing things other than row, or stress about rowing related things. We were still asked to do workouts, but only at a maintenance level and certainly not on any sort of schedule that would hinder anyone from being something other than a rower for a few weeks.
The majority of my time was spent exploring a little piece of Oregon's coast, which happens to be my husbands new station. We spent the first few days (much to his dismay) unpacking all the boxes and getting things in some sort of home. Our dogs happily laid about watching or coming and sitting right in the way of our task as to say "I wanting to distract you so you can love me". Our dogs are spoiled.
After we were sick of unpacking we headed on a bike ride along the ocean which gave me some perspective on the area. My overall opinion is I will like it there. We are miles from any large city and the only big name stores are Macys and Walmart (interesting combo I know) and my first words to describe the area was 'eerie', but when you walk out the door and smell trees, and fresh mountain air followed by the smell of the ocean nothing else really matters. I will be happy to live there one day.
My trip did not last long and I headed back to Ontario late last week to finish out my vacation with my parents and sister's family.
Tomorrow I head back to the grind. In the last few weeks I have had time to think about my experiences at the World Championships and the outcome both objectively and subjectively. I know our performance seems miles away from a medal at the Olympics but when you look beyond numbers my partner and I have a lot going for us, and in my mind there is no question about our potential and likelihood of success. The next few months are going to be tough. My mind, body and spirit will be put to the test. However, the basics are the same; take it one day at a time, push the limits, be smart and be proactive. I have been working hard since I arrived at the center in February and I intend to continue doing so with the knowledge I have from competing abroad and the challenge I have ahead I am motivated to make things happen.
The first step in reaching the goal comes from racing the National regatta which is taking place in Welland the weekend of November 11th. I will be in my single once again but the competition will be greater than last year. My goal is top 3 and ultimately my goal is to be #1. With God and my center and focus during all training and racing I know this is possible. For all things are possible through Christ.
The second step is then (assuming that a great performance will allow me the opportunity to continue training at the Training center) starting to perform once again in the 2x or whatever boat they choose. Continual podium speed will prove that we deserve a chance at the "last chance" Olympic qualifier.
Like I said before it will be a long year but one day at a time with the focus, discipline and sweat will put me right where I need to be. In the end if I have done all this with Christ as my lead I can be most proud and confident in the result.
So much to think about, but the take home message is, I am not done yet. I am not defeated, I am built to race and am waiting for the gate to open, and when it does no one will know what hit them. The only one who can stop me now is myself or God, so watch out!
No comments:
Post a Comment